This week I’m chatting with anti-diet Registered Dietitian, Cara Harbstreet. Cara is the founder of Street Smart Nutrition. And although I have spoken to a number of non-diet RD’s in this second season of the podcast, I’m always surprised at how each of the conversations take such a different path. We talk about Cara’s experience with disordered eating and how she found her way to freedom. We also focus on: the prevalence of disordered eating in female athletes, the misleading marketing tactics – used by the diet industry – that mask diets/weight-loss, and how we can find an identity in dieting praying on our need to belong & be accepted.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- Cara’s intuitive eating journey
- The difference between ‘disordered eating’ and an ‘eating disorder’
- How elimination diets (like vegetarian or vegan) can mask disordered eating tendencies
- Her “cheeseburger phase” experiment
- The guilt she experienced upon starting her intuitive eating journey
- How being alone can exacerbate emotions when you are feeling triggered
- The importance of eating food that YOU personally find satiating
- Health = the controllable behaviors that we can actually influence
- The importance of our overall lifestyle & the behaviors we embody to our health
- Eating for the sake of aesthetics in the world of athletics
- Why we can only take people as far into the healing process, as we have gone ourselves
- Why it’s important not to demonize food and where it comes from
- Food rules and how to identify them
- Diets are really selling us on belonging
- How the diet industry manipulates consumers by using misleading marketing tactics that mask diets/weight-loss
- The risk of receiving non-specific diet/lifestyle advice from general practitioners
CONNECT WITH CARA:
Her website: http://www.streetsmartnutrition.com/
On instagram: https://www.instagram.com/streetsmart.rd/
Facebook Community “You can sit with us”: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEwithStreetSmartNutrition/
Hang out with the Pod Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and uplifting conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first).
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY
SHOW SOME LOVE
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR TRIAL & TRIUMPH
Get featured on the show by sharing your trial & triumph for the week – email them to me email@example.com with the subject line “trial and triumph”
HIT ME UP
MORNING ROUTINE GUIDE
Hey squad – this FREE Morning Routine Guide is for you! We want you to have ALL the tools, so you can make 2018 your BEST year yet!
Download the free guide here!