So last week I was experimenting with making a flourless pizza crust. I decided quinoa would make a better base for pizza “dough” (after my failed attempt at cauliflower pizza crust). I was so surprised with the results! It came out perfectly. I’m so glad I wrote down what I was throwing into my mix, and in what proportions. I hope you are just as please with the result. Bon appétit!
Pizza Crust Ingredients:
- 1 C Quinoa
- 1/2 C Black Beans
- 1/4 C Red Kidney Beans
- 1/4 C ground flaxseed
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP McCormick Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A few sprays of EV olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Mash the black beans and red kidney beans to form a paste (I used a fork for this)
- In a large bowl combine the bean paste with the quinoa. Mix well – I used a spatula to press/stir the bean paste so that it was evenly distributed with the quinoa
- Add the ground flaxseed, minced garlic, italian seasoning, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Lightly dust a pizza baking pan with flaxseed (Or whole wheat flour if you’re not gluten free) ** This is to prevent the dough from sticking to the pan while baking
- Spread/hand-press dough onto a pizza baking pan (spread the dough to about 1/4″ thickness)
- Lightly brush on a few spritz’s of EV olive oil (this is optional but will help the dough to crisp up, you don’t need much – mostly around the edges)
- Bake at 400 F for 20 – 25 mins
I used what I had on hand for the toppings but you can do whatever you want!
For this pizza I sautéd onion, mushrooms, green and red bell peppers. I sprinkled one half with gorgonzola (for me) and half with parmesan (for my guy).
Once you’ve added your toppings, bake again at 400 F for 8 – 10 mins.