Elizabeth Scott LCSW: Director of Training, Co-Founder of The Body Positive, has practiced psychotherapy for twenty-seven years, specializing in eating disorders treatment. She refined the core Competencies of the Be Body Positive Model – which we cover in detail in this episode.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- Accepting ourselves can be such a hurdle because it also means accepting that others can see the real us.
- Thinking about our beauty, through the lense of an artist
- If you can accept your ancestors, you can accept your inherent beauty
- Reframing our imperfections
- The challenge of receiving, because it makes us vulnerable.
- The power of being vulnerable & acknowledging of your needs to others
- Worrying about feeling like you’re too much.
- The world is a little overwhelmed by big women. Women with big personalities, feelings, and idea. Women who crave connection, who are powerful, vocal, and have passionate desire.
- Feminine qualities that do not conform to a very male-dominated culture
- The power of embracing our feminine qualities
- Eating disorders are in fact weakening a women’s ability to combat societal aggression, judgement, and criticism.
- How to be safe in the world as a vulnerable, alive, soft human
- Radically accepting your ancestors as they are showing up in your body right now
- Women’s Therapy Institute – Manhattan
- Shifting from a ‘Victim’ identity → ‘Hero’ self-narrative. Having witness & community during this shift
- It’s in the telling of the story, and being heard, that we shift to controlling the narrative. We fall into the role of victim when we aren’t being heard.
- When we are seen by loving eyes, we become real
- A traumatic event does not inherently cause damage, unless it’s combined with isolation, shame, and mystification
- All of our experience happens in our bodies. But we go along, believing that our experiences happen in our brain.
- Her belief that our bodies are the seed to all the wisdom in the universe.
- We can find our whole history in our bodies, when we can connect to our bodies, we are able to find the truth of our experiences and heal.
- This idea of our connection & belonging to the Earth
- In 30 seconds of focusing on a quality of self love, neurological change is recognized in an MRI
- Her mission to train people to break free from their self-loathing, violence, and internalized hatred – so they can be empowered to go out and serve in the world.
- If you’re shut down from feeling your own bodies cues of hunger, thirst, exhaustion etc….how can you be in touch and pursue your purpose in life
- Learning to follow your own bodies intuitive wisdom, learning to trust the authority of their own body, & trusting the authority of our own experience
- When parents tell her “If I let my child decide what they want to eat, they’ll just eat a bunch of sugar, and that will be terrible”
- If you teach your child to listen to an authority outside of their own body pretty soon that authority won’t be you (the parent). Who do you want them to learn to trust?
- Women’s needs, ideas, and demands are threatening to the status quo / men’s needs entirely, all the time
- Feminine qualities (connection, feeling, emotion) are suppressed in our society which is detrimental to both women & men
- The power of embracing the critical voice / shadow self: approaching the scared, mean, and fearful parts of ourselves with compassion, kindness, and acknowledging the needs of the fearful part. Instead of repressing it.
- Asking the critical voice:
BOOKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Embody: Learning to Love your Unique Body and Quiet that Critical Voice! by Connie Sobczak, Forward by Elizabeth Scott
Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling by Anita Johnston
THE 5-COMPETENCIES OF THE BE-BODY-POSITIVE MODEL:
- Reclaim Health
- Practice Intuitive Self-Care
- Cultivate Self-Love
- Declare your own authentic beauty
- Build community
CONNECT WITH MARY CATHERINE:
Website – https://www.thebodypositive.org/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/thebodypositive/
For more information and full show notes visit: http://livengproof.com/
Hang out with the Pod Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and uplifting conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first).
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY
SHOW SOME LOVE
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR TRIAL & TRIUMPH
Get featured on the show by sharing your trial & triumph for the week – email them to me firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “trial and triumph”
HIT ME UP
MORNING ROUTINE GUIDE
Hey squad – this FREE Morning Routine Guide is for you! We want you to have ALL the tools, so you can make 2018 your BEST year yet!
Download the free guide here!