This week I’m chatting with Mary Jelkovsky the creator of Mary’s Cup of Tea – which she started after recovering from an eating disorder. Her intention is to inspire women to find their own inner peace and unconditional self-love. We talk about her experience with healing her body, mind, and spirit. We also discuss the idea of getting curious & unpacking the stories you’ve adopted from your caretakers, how our bodies shift and change during different seasons of our lives, how to disrupt the perpetual thought patterns that keep us stuck, shifting how we cope when we are faced with uncomfortable feelings/ emotions, how the language we use impacts our ability to recover, and emotional eating.
THIS EPISODE IS GREAT FOR ANYONE:
Who has struggled or is currently struggling with an eating disorder
Is stuck in the binge/restrict cycle
Has dealt with exercise addiction
Is curious to learn about tools that can disrupt old thought patterns
Is curious about intuitive eating
Is scared to try intuitive eating
Wants to let go of counting calories & obsessing over the scale
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- Mary’s background as a former bikini competitor & ballet dancer
- Her story with bulimia + exercise addiction
- How the fitness trend, is a safe haven for eating disorders
- External validation can be addictive and it can diminish your ability to cultivate confidence from within
- The language we use can help mentally separate ‘our identity’ from ‘the eating disorder’
- Words are the meaning we attach to them
- Words → Thought → Habits → Beliefs → Identity
- How we find identity from a struggle/trauma we’ve experienced
- Habits are more than just our mindset
- Approaching meditation with gentle curiosity
- Focus is greater than Hustle
- Guilt & Shame around the idea of feeling joy & pleasure
- The disconnect that come from the fear of feeling good, full, satisfied etc
- “Unpacking” the stories we’ve adopted as our own narrative
- Her explanation of why “all eating is emotional eating” and how emotional eating is connecting back to your own bodies wisdom
- Shifting how we cope when we are faced with uncomfortable feelings/emotions
- The power of approaching our own behavior with gentle curiosity. Asking ourselves why we feel “binge” urge behavior (whether it’s eating, exercising, shopping, alcohol, or cleaning etc).
- Identifying our true values, as a way of grounding ourselves
- Progress is not linear
- Self negotiation, setting boundaries, and having compassion to meet yourself wherever you’re at
CONNECT WITH MARY:
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/maryscupofteaa/
Photo cred – https://www.instagram.com/adaptive_kromatics/
For more information and full show notes visit: http://livengproof.com/
Listen to more of my story here – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-65-eating-disorder-recovery-carving-your-own-empowered/id1200321568?i=1000410947618&mt=2
Hang out with the Pod Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and uplifting conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first).
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY
SHOW SOME LOVE
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR TRIAL & TRIUMPH
Get featured on the show by sharing your trial & triumph for the week – email them to me email@example.com with the subject line “trial and triumph”
HIT ME UP
MORNING ROUTINE GUIDE
Hey squad – this FREE Morning Routine Guide is for you! We want you to have ALL the tools, so you can make 2018 your BEST year yet!
Download the free guide here!