Haley Goodrich is a non-diet registered dietitian and nutrition therapist. And founder of INSPIRD Nutrition and co-founder of @INSPIRDtoSEEK whose mission is to help people feel liberated in their eating choices and find body acceptance. Haley specializes in Intuitive Eating, body image, and eating disorder recovery from a Health At Every Size perspective.
CONNECT WITH HALEY:
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- The challenges associated with dealing with leaving the safety of your “non-diet bubble”. AKA when you’re on a body positive journey how to deal with the diet-culture which values and promotes a negative relationship with your body
- How prevalent diet culture is and how difficult it can
- Letting go of feeling like you need to justify your body positive journey to other people around you who are still immersed in diet culture
- Why she became a non-diet dietitian
- The contradictory message she felt she was sending: encouraging clients in a larger body to practice behaviors she was discouraging in clients in smaller bodies (weighing your food, tracking, etc) and how this didn’t feel right to her
- How removing the scale from her office removed FEAR of stigma and shame from her clients and allowed her to address things that were more important
- The dangers of following a diet, and rules especially for people who tend towards perfectionism, people pleasing
- The allure of dieting and how omnipresent it is in our society. And thus we equate this “thin ideal” a certain size, weight, & appearance with happiness and acceptance
- Her mission to be an observer, to gather info, to hold space, to talk openly with her clients. To provide sound evidence based info so that her clients learn to be competent eaters to be confidence and can make informed decisions about their food.
- Thin privilege
- Broadening the idea of what “healthy” looks like,
- How diet culture affects the lense of doctors, primary care physicians, and other health-care professionals
- How she became a non-diet dietitian and the path that lead her there
- Triggers that can lead to eating disorders
- Her professional opinion if we can fully recover from eating disorder behaviors
- Body comparison
INSPIRD to SEEK Mentorship For Nutrition Professionals:
If you’re a nutrition professional and thought about branching out on your own Haley has created a wonderful community at @INSPIRDtoSEEK for collaboration and inspiration, no matter where you’re at in your business journey. All RDs, RDs-to-be, and health professionals interested in entrepreneurship are welcome.
Hang out with the Pod Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and uplifting conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first).
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY
SHOW SOME LOVE
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR TRIAL & TRIUMPH
Get featured on the show by sharing your trial & triumph for the week – email them to me firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “trial and triumph”
HIT ME UP
MORNING ROUTINE GUIDE
Hey squad – this FREE Morning Routine Guide is for you! We want you to have ALL the tools, so you can make 2018 your BEST year yet!
Download the free guide here!