Today I’m speaking with Darelle Dove and I think it’s safe to say this guy wears a number of hats. He’s a lyricist. He writes spoken word, poetry, rap, melodies and more. He’s also a teacher. And when he’s not doing any of these things he’s acting.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS:
- How spoken word & song writing can be used as a medium to express your story, your testimony, so that people can hear your struggle and identify
- The universal struggle for acceptance
- His struggle with contemplating suicide
- The challenge to actually embrace vulnerability in fear that we won’t be accepted if they only knew the truth
- You can break emotional chains of trauma through sharing your testimony
- The evolution of “I’m not enough” to building yourself up, growing your confidence, and subsequently struggling with “who do you think you are”
- The fear of going back to where you’ve been
- “If you live for their acceptance you die from their rejection”
- Living from a place where you place value in temporary things (people liking you vs. coming from a place of
- Placing value in how other people feel about you and it determining how you feel about yourself
- The role of social media & how it plays into our desire/need to be liked, to belong, to be accepted, to be liked
- The beginners luck you can encounter when you first start following a passion, which can then be followed by a sophomore slump or a season of slower growth. It’s in this season that you are tested to see if you can stay consistent and stay committed
- Your work does not define you yet your passions may still find a way of presenting themselves no matter your occupation
- Complaining should be given space but you shouldn’t dwell in that space for long
- Excuses don’t accomplish goals
- Conserving energy to commit to things & being selective to protect your energy
- The challenge associated with scheduling creativity, “fail to plan, plan to fail”, & being intentional in your pursuit
CONNECT WITH DOVE:
Hang out with the Pod Squad on Facebook for your daily dose of health, wellness, and uplifting conversation. (and you’ll get sneak peeks of new things coming to the blog and podcast first).
LISTEN ON SPOTIFY
SHOW SOME LOVE
If you love the show and want to support it in some way, leave a review on iTunes. It helps get the show in front of new people.
SHARE YOUR TRIAL & TRIUMPH
Get featured on the show by sharing your trial & triumph for the week – email them to me firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “trial and triumph”
HIT ME UP
MORNING ROUTINE GUIDE
Hey squad – this FREE Morning Routine Guide is for you! We want you to have ALL the tools, so you can make 2018 your BEST year yet!
Download the free guide here!