I made this to bring on our little weekend beach trip to Charleston and I’m pretty proud to say that it is husband approved. He’s pretty skeptical sometimes of my “healthy” treats, so if you’re thinking of making this for your guy it should pass the test! Many of the “healthy” granola’s on the shelves actually contain more sugar than a Krispie cream doughnut! That’s seriously ridiculous! They certainly don’t make it easy for health-conscious consumers to make decisions with their deceiving and unrealistically small serving sizes either (always check your labels).
Just another reason I was inspired to make my own! Hope you like it!
2/3 C Gluten Free Rolled Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
2/3 C Puffed Rice
3 Scoops Jarrows Brown Rice Protein
2 TBS Ground Flaxseed
2 TBS Chia Seeds
2 TBS Craisans
2 TBS slivered almonds
1-2 TBS raw stevia (optional)
1 TBS organic raw cacoa nibs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS organic raw honey
1/3 + 1 TBS Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1. Preheat oven to 300°F
2. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Spray with coconut oil (or any non-stick oil spray of your choice), coat evenly and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix the oats, puffed rice, protein powder, flaxseed, chia seeds, craisnas, slivered almonds, cacoa nibs, and cinnamon.
4. Stir in the honey. Then add the almond milk, Mixing thoroughly.
5. Spread mixture evenly out onto your wax paper baking sheet.
6. Here comes the high maintenance part: I stirred the mixture and moved all the little granola parts around on the sheet, about every 10 mins. You kind of have to babysit it if you don’t want it to burn! I like my granola more on the crunchy side so I baked it for about 35 mins (stirring about every 10 – 15 mins). Just keep an eye on it. Leave it in for longer if you like it crunchier 🙂
Protein Granola (per serving) Nutrition Facts:
231 Calories | 20g Carbohydrates | 13 g Fat | 11 g Protein
(recipe makes 6 servings)